James F. Hughes
Toll Free: (888) 371-1299
233 Tallow Wood Dr
Clifton Park, New York 12065
I am proud of my long record of public service, as a veteran of the U.S. Navy, and as a 20 year veteran of the New York State Police. I earned my undergraduate degree at night while working as a State Trooper. I retired in June, 1981, and in November of that year I was elected to the position of Town Justice in the Town of Clifton Park. I am currently serving my eighth term as Judge. Several years after my retirement in 1981, I attended Albany Law School full time and received my law degree in 1987.
As an attendee of the National Judicial College, I am honored to have been chosen as an instructor for the semi-annual Magistrates' In-service Training Program, which I have been teaching for the past 22 years. I am a member of the Saratoga County Magistrates Association, and have served as its president for 3 terms.
The New York State Resource Center for Local Judges is an idea I conceived in 1986, which is an important tool that Judges can use to research information on the law. This Resource Center was later adopted by the State. I was also instrumental in initiating a reciprocal compact between New York State and the Province of Quebec for enforcement of traffic citations.
I authored a "Manual for Conducting Criminal DWI Jury Trials", which has been used extensively by New York State Judges.
- Vehicle and Traffic Violations
- DWI - Drunk Driving
- Criminal Law
- Misdemeanor and Felony Arrests
- National Judicial College, Drug and Alcohol Certification
- Albany Law School Union University, J.D.
- Russell Sage College, B.S. Criminal Science
- Hudson Valley Community College, A.A.S. Police Science
- New York State Police Academy
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Magistrates Association
- Association of Former New York State Troopers
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Clifton Park Elks
- Town Justice, Town of Clifton Park, NY 1982 - Present
- Retired City Court Judge, Mechanicville, NY
- New York State Police (20 years) – retired as zone sergeant
- Law Guardian representing children in custody and visitation matters (20 years)
- New York State Magistrates certification program instructor
- General Practice of law with emphasis on
- Vehicle and Traffic tickets
- DWI / Drunk Driving defense
- Criminal matters
- Authored a Manual for Conducting Criminal DWI Jury Trials, used extensively by New York State Judges.