James F. Hughes
I am proud of my long record of public service, as a veteran of the U.S. Navy, and as a 20 year veteran of the New York State Police. I earned my undergraduate degree at night while working as a State Trooper. I retired in June, 1981, and in November of that year I was elected to the position of Town Justice in the Town of Clifton Park. I am currently serving my eighth term as Judge. Several years after my retirement in 1981, I attended Albany Law School full time and received my law degree in 1987.
As an attendee of the National Judicial College, I am honored to have been chosen as an instructor for the semi-annual Magistrates' In-service Training Program, which I have been teaching for the past 22 years. I am a member of the Saratoga County Magistrates Association, and have served as its president for 3 terms.
The New York State Resource Center for Local Judges is an idea I conceived in 1986, which is an important tool that Judges can use to research information on the law. This Resource Center was later adopted by the State. I was also instrumental in initiating a reciprocal compact between New York State and the Province of Quebec for enforcement of traffic citations.
I authored a "Manual for Conducting Criminal DWI Jury Trials", which has been used extensively by New York State Judges.
J.D., Albany Law School, 1987
B.S., Russel Sage College, 1973
New York State Bar Association
Member Since: 1988
New York State Magistrates Association
Member Since: 1988
Association of Former New York State Troopers
Member Since: 1981
- Vehicle and Traffic Violations
- Points for Moving Violations
- Plea Bargaining
- Town Justice, Town of Clifton Park, NY 1982 - Present
- Retired City Court Judge, Mechanicville, NY
- New York State Police (20 years) – retired as zone sergeant
- Law Guardian representing children in custody and visitation matters (20 years)
- New York State Magistrates certification program instructor
- General Practice of law with emphasis on
- Vehicle and Traffic tickets
- DWI / Drunk Driving defense
- Criminal matters
- Authored a Manual for Conducting Criminal DWI Jury Trials, used extensively by New York State Judges.